20 Jan 2021
DiamondWorld Directory
Home |
Lucapa Diamond profit up, hits record production at African mines
The diamond producer’s Lulo mine, in Angola, churned out 3,180 carats, the highest monthly result since production began in 2015
By: Diamond World News Service
Sep 4 2019 12:44PM
Reference: 22468  


Australia’s Lucapa Diamond hit record production in August at its two mines in Africa on the back of a growth-focused strategy, which lead it to the scaling up of production at both operations to maximise revenue generation and returns.

 The diamond producer’s Lulo mine, in Angola, churned out 3,180 carats, the highest monthly result since production began in 2015.

At its new Mothae operation in Lesotho, Lucapa achieved two milestones during the month of August — a processing record of 120,736 tonnes treated and a production high of 2,911 carats, which takes year-to-date output to 17,935 carats.

The announcements come as the Perth-based miner posted Tuesday a consolidated net profit after tax of $1.1 million for the six months leading to June, a significant improvement after losing $4.3 million in the previous corresponding period.

Lucapa, which acquired Mothae in 2017, has a 70% interest in the operation, while the government of Lesotho owns the remaining 30% of Mothae. The mine, which began commercial production in December, is located three miles from Letšeng, the highes dollars per carat diamond mine in the world. 

The company’s 40%-owned prolific Lulo mine, in turn, hosts the world’s highest dollar-per-carat alluvial diamonds.

Lucapa’s positive results contrast with the dire state of the sector. Diamond miners are struggling accross the board, especially those producing cheaper and smaller stones where there is too much supply. 

Buyers, those that polish and cut diamonds for retailers, have been hit this year by lower prices and tighter credit, prompting them to delay purchases. Tiffany’s reported in August a 3% decline in like-for-like sales, while shares in Signet, the world’s largest retailer of diamond jewellery, have lost more than 60% of their value this year.

De Beers, the world’s top diamond producer by value, has responded by axing production — with a target of 31 million carats this year compared with 35.3 million in 2018. It has also announced it would spend more on marketing.

At the latest sale, the company increased the amount of stones buyers were allowed in each lot purchased from 10% to 20%, according to people familiar with the auction.

Source: mining.com 


Follow DiamondWorld on Instagram: @diamondworldnet
Follow DiamondWorld on Twitter: @diamondworldnet
Follow DiamondWorld on Facebook: @diamondworldnet
Have Your Say
* Your view
* Name:
* Email:
* Town/city:
* Country/State:
*  Company:
*  Name:
*  Mobile:
*  Email:
Subscribe for DiamondWorld weekly Newsletter
Search News by City
Kosher 23460
Kosher 23460
Recent Issue
Kosher 23460
News in Pictures
Young Diamantaires
Pictures: 16
Stunning Jewellery from Cannes 2019
Pictures: 24
Sparkly Jewels at Oscars 2019
Pictures: 19
Golden Globes 2018
Pictures: 15
Spotted: Who Wore What (December 2018)
Pictures: 4
India Diamond Week
Pictures: 8
Spotted: Who Wore What (October 2018)
Pictures: 7
Spotted: Who Wore What (September 2018)
Pictures: 6
70th Emmy Awards
Pictures: 11
35th India International Jewellery Show 2018
Pictures: 46
JJS - IJ Jewellers Choice Design Awards 2015 powered by GIA
Views: 28281
Diamond World Expert Hour with Evgeny Agureev, Deputy CEO, ALROSA
Views: 3456
GJEPC Chairman Interview
Views: 24854
IJ Jewellers Choice Design Awards 2012 - Part 1
Views: 33017
Promo for IJ Awards 2012 at NDTV Profit
Views: 46975
IJ Jewellers Choice Design Awards 2012- Part 2
Views: 59440
Couture India 2016 - A Business Boutique Show by IJ Magazine
Views: 19342
Savjibhai Dholakiya, Surat Businessman (Diamond Merchant) speaks in Vibrant 2015
Views: 45783
IJ Jewellers Choice Design Awards 2013 - NDTV Video
Views: 44661
Kosher 250300
Member of:
Supporter of: