The 43rd India Gem and Jewellery Awards ceremony presented by the Gem and Jewellery Export Promotion Council (GJEPC) at the Regal Room, Hotel Trident, Mumbai witnessed an incredible attendance of all the prominent personalities of the gems and jewellery industry along with the notable names from the social and political field. The awards ceremony held on 18th March 2017 saw an impressive turnout. The Chief Guests for the function was Devendra Fadnavis, Hon’ble Chief Minister of Maharashtra. Other dignitaries present for the ceremony were Praveenshankar Pandya, Chairman, GJEPC; Kirit Bhansali, Convener – Awards-Sub Committee, Anil Virani, Nirupa Bhatt, MD, GIA – India & Middle East along with mining leaders and banking industry leaders.
During welcome speech, Praveenshankar Pandya, Chairman, GJEPC said “It is my pleasure to present the 43rd India Gem and Jewellery Awards during the 50th completion year of the GJEPC. The objective behind IGJA 2016 is to reward the leading performers from India’s gem and jewellery industry. "
He further spoke about industry requests like first and foremost world-class exhibition centre which would be at par with Hong Kong and other countries. Industry is ready to work alongside government to bring in necessary infrastructure for the industry. He said " The Council has taken it upon itself to see to it that our country becomes world-leader in jewellery sector as well. And for this, we need world-class educational facilities as well."
He added “At the time of formation of the council in the year 1966-67, India’s gem and jewellery exports stood at US$ 26 million and now in the year 2015-16, the country’s gems and jewellery exports were US$ 39,286 million. Presently, around 30-40 lakh people are working in this industry who are helping it to take ahead.”
Nirupa Bhatt, MD GIA , India & Middle East in her speech said "I must congratulate the Council, current and all chairmen and their teams on completion of 50 years. Over the years, the Council has done humongous level of work for the development of India gem and jewellery industry." She further added "I really appreciate and applaud the Council's efforts to include the category of Women Entrepreneur Award which recongnises the contribution of women in the industry. I congratulate all the winners and their teams for their achievements."
Devendra Fadnavis, CM of Maharashtra in his speech said “I am happy to be present at the 43rd India Gem and Jewellery Awards presented by the Gem and Jewellery Export Promotion Council. It is praiseworthy that the Council is celebrating its golden jubilee this year. Since its inception, the GJEPC is endeavouring for the growth of gems and jewellery sector. As the apex body of the gem and jewellery export industry, the GJEPC has taken various initiatives for skill up gradation and removal of trade-related issues.”
“India is the largest consumer of gold, accounting for more than 20 per cent of world’s total gold consumption. A major exporter of gems and jewellery, Maharashtra is one of the key Indian States with gemstones reserves and mining potential. India is world’s largest cutting and polishing centre for diamonds. I congratulate all the winners and wish this event, all success,” he added.
Regarding the demands of the industry for exhibition centre, Jewellery Park and university, honourable CM said that the state government would work closely with the industry and try to fulfill these demands. Regarding the university, CM mentioned that this university would be an unconventional one which would be providing all the skill development courses needed for the industry.
The ceremony clasps a very high standing position in the trade as it rewards the best and sets a greater scale, directing the trade towards improvement. The annual awards not only identify the exertions of the exporters of the Indian gem and jewellery industry, but it also rejoices the excellence displayed by the gem and jewellery exporters in India. The industry specialists along with the noble members of the industry who celebrated with the industry for its accomplishment and pliability in the testing times appreciated the industry’s efforts.
The ceremony was hosted by none other than Hussain Kuwajerwala, Television actor and achor along with popular TV actress Sakshi Tanwar who with their entertaining ways kept the audiences entertained throughout the evening.
The much-awaited awards ceremony began after much delay of almost one hour. However, the industry patrons and guests waited patiently till the start of the award ceremony. Over a 40 awards were given across various categories. Lifetime Achievement Award was given to Sevantilal Shah of Venus Jewel.
Thank you note was presented by Kirit Bhansali, Convener- Awards Sub-committee, GJEPC. The awards evening further continued with fervour at the dinner party that was hosted by the GJEPC for all the attendees.
List of winners is as follows:
- Cut & Polished Diamonds (Highest Turnover) (1,2, & 3 place) - 1. Kiran Gems Pvt. Ltd. 2. Hari Krishna Exports Pvt. Ltd. 3. Laxmi Diamond Pvt. Ltd.
- Cut & Polished Diamonds (Large) - 1. Laxmi Diamond Pvt. Ltd. 2. Star Rays 3. Kapu Gems
- Cut & Polished Diamonds (Medium) - S. Jogani Exports Pvt Ltd.
- Cut & Polished Diamonds (Small) - Royal Impex
- Precious metal jewellery – Plain (Large) - PC Jeweller Ltd.
- Precious metal jewellery – studded (large) - Renaissance Jewellery Ltd.
- Precious metal jewellery – plain (medium) - Emerald Jewel Industry India Ltd.
- Precious metal jewellery –studded (medium) - HK Designs (India)
- Precious metal jewellery – plain & studded (small) - Shree Momai Krupa Jewellers
- Best agency supplying gold - The Bank of Nova Scotia
- Best Agency Supplying Gold to highest number of clients - MMTC Ltd.
- Highest Limits Sanctioned - 1. IndusInd Bank Ltd. 2. State Bank of India
- Highest number of clients - State Bank of India
- Highest growth of limits sanctioned - Vijaya Bank
- Cut & Polished Coloured Gemstones (1st and 2nd) - 1. RMC Gems Ltd. 2. KGK Gems (SEZ Unit)
- Silver Jewellery (1st and 2nd) - 1. Vaibhav Global Ltd. 2. ACPL Exports Pvt. Ltd.
- Cut and Polished Synthetic Stones - Industrial Jewels Pvt. Ltd.
- Costume Fashion Jewellery - Amrapali Exports
- Highest Employment on Rolls of Company (Rest of G&J Items) - Emerald Jewel Industry India Ltd.
- Highest Employment on Rolls of Company (Diamond) - Samarth Diamond
- Highest Taxpayer Company (Rest of G&J Items) - PC Jeweller Ltd.
- Highest Taxpayer Company (Diamond) - Kiran Gems Pvt. Ltd.
- Sales to Foreign Tourist - Silver & Art Palace
- Highest Importer of the Year (USA) - S Vinod Kumar USA, INC
- Highest Importer of the Year (Far East) - Kiran Exports HK Ltd.
- Highest Importer of the Year (Middle East) - Bafleh Jewellery LLC
- Highest Importer of the Year (Europe) - Kiran Exports BVBA
- Clearing agent/flight forwarder of the year - BVC Logistics Pvt. Ltd.
- Life time achievement award - Sevantilal Premchand Shah
- Most socially responsible company - 1. Laxmi Diamond Pvt. Ltd. 2. Vaibhav Global Ltd.
- Most innovative company - Kiran Jewelry
- Best growing company of the year (small/medium) - Parishi Diamond
- Best growing company of the year (Large) - Kiran Gems Pvt. Ltd.
- Best E-commerce Enterprise - 1. Bodhi Brands Pvt. Ltd. 2. Kiran Gems Pvt. Ltd.
- Women entrepreneur of the year - Sunita Shekhawat